Dictionary Of Hindu Religion | Dictionary
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P-Q R S T-U V-W-X Y-Z
(2) Nyaas word comes from the root "to place" - meaning to place the tips of the fingers and palm of the right hand on various parts of the body accompanied by a particular Mantra. It also means to assign Mantra Beej or letters or words to different parts of the body, that is when the Mantra is said, it is thought of as being located in the head, mouth etc parts, by touching the parts in question by hand.
Nyaas is also of use in effecting the proper distribution of the Shakti of the human frame in their proper positions so as to avoid the production of discord and distraction in worship. Nyaas, as well as Aasan are necessary for the production of the desired state of mnd and of Chitta Shuddhi (Purification of the heart).
Nyaas are of several types --
(1) Shad Ang Nyaas
- Shad Ang Nyaas proper is
called Hridayaadi Shad Anf Nyaas, means of the six parts of the body,
beginning with the heart - heart, the head, the crown lock, the thorax,
the three eyes, the palm and back of the hand. The Mantra of Shad Ang
Nyaas on the body are used for Kar Nyaas also.
(2) Jeev Nyaas - In this Nyaas the Saadhak infuses his body with the life of the god or goddess, therby identifying himself or herself with the god or goddess. After this the Saadhak becomes Devtaa-maya
(3) Maatrika Nyaas - Matrikaa are the 50 letters of the Sanskrit alphabet; for as from a mother comes a birth, so from Maatrikaa or sound the world proceeds. "Shabd Brahm", or the Sound, or Logos, or Word is the creator of the worlds of name and of form.
The bodies of the Devtaa are composed of the 50 Maatrikaa, that is why the Saadhak first sets mentally in their several places in the 6 CHakra and then externally by physical action the letters of the alphabet, which form the different parts of the body of the Devtaa, which is thus built up in the Saadhak himself. he places his hand on different parts of his body, uttering distinctly at the same time the appropriate Maatrikaa for that part.
According to Tantra Saar,
Maatrikaa Nyaas is also classified into four kinds performed with
(4) Peeth Nyaas - In Peeth Nyaas, the Peeth are established in place of the Maatrikaa. The Peeth (see Devee for the explanation of Peeth), in their ordinary sense are Kaam Roop.
(7) Rishi Nyaas
- In this Nyaas the Mantra is assigned to the head, mouth, heart, anus and
the two feet and all the body generally. The Mantra commonly applied are -
(8) Vyaapak Nyaas
- Vyaapak Nyaas means diffusive, comprehensive, spreading all over,
which is Yathokt Phal Siddhi Da. By this Nyaas the Saadhak spreads
his Isht Devtaa's presence throughout himself. He becomes permeated
by it losing himself in the Divine Self.
There are 5 types of basic Nyaas -
(1) Kavach Nyaas, (2) Kundalinee Nyaas, (3) Bahu Nyaas,
(4) Vishnu Nyaas, and (5) Hridaya Nyaas
Created by Sushma Gupta on 3/15/06
Updated on 01/30/13