Weapons which are used by throwing, are called Astra, such as mace,
arrows, missiles etc. Many Astra have been mentioned in our religious
literature. Some of the names those Astra are given here -
(1) Aagneya Astra - It is the Astra of Agni Dev and it produces fire and heat.
Arjun had it. (
Arjun got from Agni Dev.
(2) Antardhaan Astra - This Astra is used to make things disappear. Arjun had it.
(3) Bhaum Astra - This Astra creates lots of dust (earth) and land. Arjun had it.
(4) Brahm Astra - It is the weapon of Brahmaa Jee and is the most powerful Astra.
Not many people in our mythology have used it.
Raavan wanted to use it on Maandhaataa, but was
Meghnaad used it on Hanumaan
Raam used it on Raavan
(MBH, Stories, 4-50-Raam-4).
Ashwatthaamaa and Arjun used it on each other,
Arjun called it back, Ashwatthaamaa had to divert it to Uttaraa's womb.
(5) Brahmshir Astra - It is never futile and can consume the whole earth. It should
be passed from disciple to disciple. So Drone learnt it
from Agnivesh and then gave it to Arjun and said to him -
"Never use this weapon on any human being, especially on the person who has
less energy. (
(6) Maanav Astra - Arjun had it and he used it on Duryodhan on the 14th
day of the war. As he was going to use it, Ashwatthaamaa saw it
and broke it into two. It could not be used again because
if it was used again it would kill the user.
(7) Mohan Astra -
(8) Paashupat Astra - This Astra belongs to Shiv Jee. It is also very powerful Astra.
Arjun did penance for Shiv Jee to get this weapon.
Maandhaataa also had it and wanted to use it on Raavan
against his Brahm Astra but was stopped. (
(9) Parjanya Astra - This Astra creates clouds. Arjun had it.
(10) Parvatya Astra - This causes to bring mountains. Arjun had it.
(11) Pragyaa Astra - MBH, Stories,
4-50-Raam-4 says that Vibheeshan used it to wake up Raam and Lakshman when Indrajeet had tied them
with his arrows. This weapon could restore an insensible warrior to
consciousness, as the Sammohan Astra could deprive one of
consciousness. When Arjun used this Astra on Kaurav army,
perhaps only Bheeshm knew this Astra, because at that time he said to Uttar
- "You don't go to Pitaamaha, as he knows the counter
of this Astra."
(12) Raudra Astra - This is the Astra of Rudra. Arjun got it from Rudra.
(13) Sammohan Astra - This Astra makes people sleep, or deprives one of consciousness.
Arjun used it on Kaurav army when he went to fight with
Kaurav from Viraat's kingdom with Uttar.
(14) Sanhaar Astra -
(15) Vaaruneya Astra - This is the Astra of Varun and it creates water, makes rains. Arjun had it.
Arjun got it from Varun Dev.
(16) Vaayavya Astra - This Astra belongs to Vaayu Dev and brings strong
storms and winds. Arjun had it.
Arjun got it from Vaayu Dev.
(17) Vaasavee - This was the Power Karn took from Indra in exchange of his earrings
and Kavach (armor) and used it on Ghatotkach.
(18) Vajra (Thunderbolt) - This is Indra's Astra. This has been made by
Vishwakarmaa from Maharshi Dadheechi's bones when Indra wanted
to kill Vritraasur. He killed Vritraasur
from it. Arjun got this also from Indra.
(19) Varun Astra - the same as Vaaruneya Astra