Information | Tidbits
List of Shaap (Curses)
(1) Aurv's Shaap to Shiv
(2) Daksh's Shaap to Naarad
(3) Durvaasaa Rishi's Shaap
(4) Ganesh's Shaap to Chandramaa
(5) Janamejaya Gets Shaap from Saramaa
(6) Maandavya Rishi's Shaap to Dharm Raaj
(7) Naarad's Shaap to Vishnu
(8) Pareekshit Gets Shaap from Shringee Rishi
(9) Pippalaad's Wife Padmaa's Shaap to Dharm
(10) Raavan Gets Several Shaap
As Raavan, he got a Shaap from Nandee, the Bull of ShivJee; Vedvatee; Anaranya; abducted women; Nal-Koobar (Kuber's son); and Brahmaa Jee himself.
(11) Vashishth Jee's Shaap to King Saudaas, Nimi,
--Once Vashishth Jee gave Shaap to King Nimi (Ikshwaaku's son). Since his Shaap was not according to Dharm, the King also gave Shaap to Vashishth Jee. Vashishth Jee died and was born from Varun. Nimi also died and got a Var to remain unborn and lie in everybody's yes. Since that day people started blinking their eyes.
--Once eight Vasu were in Vashishth
Jee's Aashram that one of their wives saw his cow and asked her husband
to bring that cow to her, so that she could give hat cow to her friend,
because she had heard that by drinking her milk one becomes very
beautiful and young forever. An she wanted her friend to be like that.
Her husband did not think of the result of this an he stole Vashishth
Jee's cow. When Vashishth Jee came back in bis Aashram and did not see
his cow, he came to know about stealing his cow. He gave Shaap to all
Vasu to be born on Prithvi. Fortunately or unfortunately Gangaa was also
cursed by her father Brahmaa Jee to be born on Prithvi. Both met on the
way. Gangaa promised to help them by bearing them as her children ad
killing them at once so that they should not live on Prithvi for long
time. But she could not help one Vasu. One Vasu had to live on Prithvi -
and it was Bheeshm who lived under this curse.
--Ashtaavakra Muni gave Shaap to a Vidyaadhar to become a python who took Vasudev Jee in Varun Lok.
The followings are not Shaap but are promises made in past lives to suffer like this --
(1) The hunter who shot his arrow at Krishn's foot, was the incarnation of Vaanar Raaj Baali. As Raam killed Baali from hiding, in the same way Baali in his other life was born as a hunter and shot arrow at Krishn's foot from a distance which caused Him die.
(2) Raajaa Bali's daughter Ratnmaalaa was standing when Vaaman Bhagavaan came to ask for three feet land from Raajaa Bali. Seeing his beauty she wished that she would love to breastfeed Him; but as soon as she saw His Viraat Roop, she got frightened, and she wished that if He had been her son she would have killed Him. Bhagavaan heard her both wishes and fulfilled them when He was born as Krishn and she was born as Pootanaa. She breastfed Him hen He was a child, at the same time she wanted to kill Him too. Bhagavaan gave her His own Lok regarding her as His mother.
(3) Shoorpanakhaa was incarnated as Kubjaa in Mathuraa. She loved Raam very much. She could not marry Raam in that life but when she was born as Kubjaa, Krishn gave her beauty and lived with her for 7 days. [I have not read this in any book but on one web site. Its authenticity is questionable.]
Created by Sushma Gupta on 5/27/04
Updated on 12/08/12