Biographies | Rishi
Parvat Muni is supposed to be one of the oldest sages and is always a companion of Naarad Muni. Both have the capability to travel in space without any external vehicle. Parvat Muni is also a Devarshi among the gods like Devarshi Naarad. He has several stories in his name. Parvat is the son of Kaashyap and is a great friend of Naarad, that is why their names often come together. Both are regarded of Kanv Gotra. Both Rishi are called Gandharv also, because they can travel in the space singing the glory of the Lord.
(2) He is mentioned in the story of Mokshdaa Ekaadashee also.
(3) Since Naarad and Parvat can travel without vehicle, they saw Draupadee's Swayamvar ceremony also from the space.
(4) Parvat was present in Janamejaya's Sarp Yagya also.
(5) Parvat Muni used to visit Indra Sabhaa also in Heaven, and as a Gandharv, he used to go to the assembly of Kuber also.
(6) His one story comes in Mahaabhaarat. When Yudhishthir was grieving for Abhimanyu, Vyaas Jee told him the story of Akampan and he got somewhat peace, but then he asked the account of those kings who were like Indra and did several sacrifices. Then Vyaas Jee told him the story of a King named Srinjaya. At that time both Naarad and Parvat Muni were his guests. Both were in trouble seeing the daughter of the King Srinjaya. Later Naarad Jee blessed Srinjaya with a son. Now it so happened that his son was killed. Srinjaya got very sad. At this Naarad Jee told him stories of 16 great kings as how they all had to die; and when those great kings had to die, then what was his son? But later he brought his son alive.
Created by Sushma Gupta On 5/27/04
Modified on 04/06/13