Dictionary Of Hindu Religion | Genealogies
This section lists various genealogies mentioned in various scriptures, especially in Puraan, as they are its main part, still each Puraan gives some different description. First it should be understood well that all Vansh, be it Soorya Vansh or Chandra Vansh, were started from Manu. Manu had 10 sons and those 10 sons had their own Vansh; still only two Vansh are main because other Vansh have extinguished at one point or the other.
One dash after
the name shows that the next name is the son of the previous one;
SOORYA or IKSHWAAKU or RAGHU VANSH
(1) Ikshwaaku Vansh (Bhavishya Puraan) - Soorya Vansh in Sat Yug
Raghu Vansh is also Soorya Vansh, but it was called Raghu Vansh in Tretaa Yug. It starts from Sudarshan's (last king of Ikshwaaku Vansh) grandson Raghu.
(3) Ikshwaaku Vansh (Bhaagvat Puraan) - Vikukshi Vansh
Raam and Krishn - According to Bhaagvat Puraan, 9/1-2, from Raam to Brihadwal, who was killed Abhimanyu, there are 25 kings or generations - this means that between Raam and Brihadwal only 25 kings ruled. With the same, sine Raam ruled up to the end of Tretaa Yug and Krishn left Prithvi in the end of Dwaaapr Yug, so there were only 25 Soorya Vanshee kings in Dwaapar Yug. see 3-Ikshwaaku-Vikukshi Vansh. Thus the names of Soorya Vanshee kings between Raam and Krishn do not match with Padm Puraan, 1-Srishti/9a.
(4) Ikshwaaku Vansh (Bhaagvat Puraan) - Nimi Vansh
(5) Soorya Vansh (Padm Puraan) -
Raam and Krishn - According to Padm Puraan, 1-Srishti/9a from Raam to Brihadwal who was killed by Abhimanyu, there are 15 kings or generations - this means that between Raam and Brihadwal only 15 kings ruled. With the same, sine Raam ruled up to the end of Tretaa Yug and Krishn left Prithvi in the end of Dwaaapr Yug, so there were only 15 Soorya Vanshee kings in Dwaapar Yug. see also 5-Soorya-Padm Thus the names of Soorya Vanshee kings given in Padm Puraan between Raam and Krishn do not match with Bhaagvat Puraan, 9/1-2, see also 3-Ikshwaaku-Vikukshi Vansh
(6) Ikshwaaku Vansh (MBH) see Soorya Vansh (Padm Puraan)
(11) Chandra Vansh (Bhavishya Puraan) in 2-Tretaa Yug
(2nd Leg of Tretaa Yug) -
(12) Chandra Vansh (Bhavishya Puraan) in 3-Dwaapar Yug
(3rd Leg of Dwaapar Yug) -
Pareekshit (the First king of Kali Yug) - Janamejaya = after Yudhishthir 26 kings' name are listed here.
(14) Chandra Vansh (Bhaagvat Puraan) - 1 -
(15) Chandra Vansh (Bhaagvat Puraan) - 2 -
(16) Chandra Vansh - Puru Vansh (MBH) -
(21) Manu Vansh (Bhaagvat Puraan) -
It is interesting to note that
(2) Chandra Vansh of Hastinaapur ends with Kshem in Kali Yug. (Bhaagvat Puraan, 9/22/44)
(3) Magadh Dynasty (from Jaraasandh) flourished up to Gupt Dynasty (80 BC)
Bhavishya Puraan gives the list of future kings of Kali Yug, some of the genealogies are given here --
(51) History of India in Kali Yug -
(52) Chauhaan Vansh
(61) Dushyant and Bharat's Genealogy (MBH)
(100) Miscellanea -
Created by Sushma Gupta on 3/15/06
Updated on 06/29/12