(1) Whose son is Soorya?
Soorya is the son of Kashyap and Aditi. He is one of the 12 Aaditya.
(2) What are the names of Soorya's wives?
Soorya has only one wife - Roopaa or Sangyaa, or Raagyee or Prabhaa (later
(3) How many children Soorya has?
Saavarni Manu, Yam, and Yamee or Yamunaa from Sangyaa and
Shanaishchar, Tapatee and Vishti (Bhadraa) from Chhaayaa and
Ashwinee Kumaar from Sangyaa again in horse form
(4) Soorya's two sons are involved in judging the people, what are their names?
Yam Raaj who judge the dead people and Shanaishchar who judge the living people.
(5) Who are these Rivers - Yamunaa, Taaptee, and Bhadraa.
All three are the daughters of Soorya. Once Yamee and Tapatee fought among
themselves and turned into rivers because of each other's curse.
(6) Soorya is considered a knowledgeable Devtaa. Who were his disciples?
(1) Hanumaan Jee - Soorya promised him that when he would be grown up he would
educate him. So when he had grown, Soorya educated him.
(2) Maya Daanav - It is believed that Soorya himself gave Soorya Siddhaant to Maya Daanav.
(3) Yaagyavalkya Jee - When Yaagyavalkya's Guru Vaishampaayan Jee got angry with
him and asked him to return all knowledge, whatever he learnt from him, to him;
Yaagyavalkya vomited all knowledge. He then worshipped Soorya, pleased him and
got another knowledge which was not with anybody. Soorya Dev imparted it to him
in the form of a horse, that is why it was called
(4) Baalkhilyaadi Rishi - He taught various Shaastra to 60,000 Baalkhilyaadi Rishi.
Soorya is the only Devtaa
(god) who is visible to mankind.