Vaalmeeki Raamaayan | Names
Agastya Muni's name is Agastya because of his Karm. His wife's name is Lopaamudraa and is mentioned in Lalitaa Sahastra Naamaavalee (Thousand Names of Lalitaa).
(1) - Meru Parvat is the highest peak in the world. By its nature it grows day by day and stands the highest. Jealous to this Vindhyaachal Parvat also started rising up to exceed the height of Meru Parvat, thus obstructing the path of the Sun. Day changed to night and the Sun and Moon's movements became irregular and the Vedic rituals which were tied to their movements also became irregular. Then Devtaa prayed Agastya Muni to do something for this.
Agastya Muni came towards Vindhyaachal Parvat along with his wife and seeing his height said to him - "O king of Parvat Vindhyaachal, We are going towards south, we cannot climb such a height, kindly lower yourself so that we old people can go to the other side." Vindhyaachal was a great worshipper of saints and Rishi, so he immediately lowered his height up to the ground level so that the old couple did not need to climb at all, just walk.
Agastya Muni told him to be in the same position because he would soon be returning to north side. Vindhyaachal readily agreed for this. He is still lying like that even today, because Agastya Muni never returned to north. Since then everything got in order.
So Aga+stya = subdued mountain. He played an important role in the uplifting of southern region and Dravidian cultures.
(2) - He killed Maareech's father and Taadakaa's husband Sund by giving him Shaap.
(3) - He once ate Vaataapi Raakshas also to save Tapaswee from the two brothers' (Vaataapi and Ilval) killing them.
(4) - He gave Mukti to King Shwet who used to come to Prithvi from Swarg to eat his own flesh to satisfy himself because hedid not donate any Ann (food) in hi life time.
(5) - He gave bows, arrows and swords to Raam and Lakshman.
Created by Sushma Gupta on 5/27/03
Updated on 06/09/11