Astrology | Dashaa
Mool Dashaa belongs to the most important planetary periods cycles (in my view it is the most important one). It is based on the strengths of planets in Kendra firstly, then in Panaphar and finally in Aapoklim. Mool Dashaa is part of the three most important Dashaa - Mool, Vinshottaree Dashaa and Kaal Chakra Dashaa. Mool Dashaa is based on Raashi, on the sequence of the most powerful Graha in Raashi in natal chart, more exactly.
Next important Dashaa - coming after Mool, Vinshottaree and Kaal Chakra Dashaa - are the Conditional Dashaa (and one CD is always applicable), Naaraayan/ Chara Dashaa and Kaal Dashaa. Varnad and Niryan Shool Dashaa are Aayur- Dashaa, related to longevity in general and endings/problems of all kinds in particular.
Mool means 'root'. Mool Dashaa shows the roots, basics, fundaments of your life, the true reality behind it. It indicates the main experiences for your true self. Mool Dashaa is the most fundamental and the most reliable Dashaa cycle - the first look should go to Mool Dashaa.
Calculation and Sequence of Maha Dashaa
Calculation and Sequence of Antar-Dashaa
Interpretation of Mool Dashaa
Bhaav are structured in "Kendra" (1st, 4th, 7th, 10th house), "Trikon" (1st, 5th, 9th House), "Dusthanas" (6th, 8th, 12th house), "Upachaya' (3rd, 6th, 10th, 11th house) and "Marak" (2nd, 7th House).
--Trikon are the houses of Lakshmee, of fortune and provide more auspicious periods.
Look, what kind of lordship a Dashaa Planet obtains: Is he Lord of a Trikon (Lakshmee) House - then auspicious. Is he Lord of a Dusthaan, or Upachaya House - then more difficult. (To repeat this, there are of course lot of exceptions due to very individual constellations in a chart!)
This is to be done from various references: MD/AD/PD Lord, Moon, Lagna, Arudhaa Lagna are the most important references, then Sun, Horaa Lagna, Ghatee Lagna and Bhaav/ Graha Arudhaa.
[Kalyana Varmas Saravali, Ch. 41]
2. Order of the Scheme - According to Manitha, those, who are born during day time will have the Dashaa commencing with that of the Sun, while the night-born will have it from that of Venus. But this view is not acceptable to other preceptors.
3. Satya's View
4-5. The first Dashaa will be of the strongest of the Ascendant, the Sun and the Moon. Then the planets in Angles will be Dashaa Lords. Thereafter the planets in Panaphar (2nd, 5th, 8th and 11th Houses) will lord over the major periods, while the last Dashaa will be headed by the planets posited in Aapoklim (3rd, 6th, 9th and 12th Houses). If Angles etc are occupied by more than one planet, the strongest will have its Dashaa first. Even, if the strengths of these be identical, then the order will be according to maximum years donated by these planets Granting, that these durations are also similar, then the risings of planets will prevail, Even, if one of the triad, viz the Ascendant, the Sun and the Moon, is strong, then Satya's scheme, as above should be resorted to. If none is strong enough, then the Dashaa scheme of other preceptors may be considered.
6. Auspicious Periods - Planets in exaltation, own Raashi, own Navaansh, friendly Sign, possessing full rays and those with full strength prove auspicious in their Dashaa. At the commencement of a Dashaa a planet, that is strong, or is in a friendly division, or is in aspect to a benefic will also yield similar good results.
7. Inauspicious Periods - The planet, that is in its Sign of fall, Sign ruled by an enemy, Navaansh of an enemy, combust in the Sun, devoid of splendor, or is in aspect to Malefics will yield inauspicious effects in its Dashaa.
8. If a planet has departed from its exaltation, its Dashaa is known, as Avarohinee (stepping down) Dashaa. If, however, it is in own, or friendly divisions, the effects will be medium, i.e. neither good nor bad. The Dashaa of a planet approaching its exaltation, departing from debilitation, is known, as Aarohinee (climbing) Dashaa. If the said planet is in inimical, or debilitation divisions, it will inflict difficulties.
9. The Sun is the ripener (or baker) of the effects of a Dashaa, while the Moon is the sustaining agent. That is why the Moons transit position at the time of the commencement of a Dashaa should be duly considered.
Major Lords Placement at the Commencement of a Dashaa
19. Special Effects Based on Navaansh - Even though a planet may be in friendly Sign, if it occupies simultaneously a Navaansh belonging to its enemy, or be in fall in Navaansh, the effects in the Dashaa concerned will be mixed. A weak planets Dashaa will be futile.
20. Lagna Dashaa - The Ascendants major period will prove auspicious, if it is in the first decanate of a Movable Sign; medium in the second decanate and poor in the 3rd decanate. The reverse is true with a Common Sign ascending, i e. third, second and first decanate will, respectively, be auspicious, medium and poor. As for a Fixed Sign ascending first, second and third decanates will, respectively, give poor, auspicious and medium effects.
21. Naisargik Dashaa - The Naisargik Dashaa follows in the order of the Moon, Mars, Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, the Sun, Saturn and the Ascendant.
22-24. If the planet is exalted, or is endowed with temporal strength, or full strength, in its Dashaa incomparably auspicious results will come to pass. The planet, that is in its own Sign, Mool Trikon Sign, own Navaansh, or hemmed between Benefics will yield moderately auspicious effects. The planet, that is going towards its exaltation (departing from Sign of its fall), or is placed in friendly Signs etc, feebly auspicious effects will be felt. Similar deductions should be made in regard to planets otherwise placed.
Other Placements of Planets
69. Though one may be a king, he will become a servant of his own servants in the Dashaa of a planet devoid of strength, a planet totally devoid of strength, a planet in fall, a planet in deep fall, a planet in inimical Sign and a planet in dead enemies.
70. In the Dashaa of a planet placed in enemies Sign, there will be circumstances to leave ones own country (in distress), diseases, loss of position, frequent quarrels and confinement.
71. Even a king with vast number of elephants, that can wet the earth with their ichors, will surely wander in difficulty in the Dashaa of a planet occupying an inimical Sign.
72-73. In the Dashaa of the planets placed in the 6th, 5th, 9th, or 7th Houses identical with inimical Signs, there will be troubles to limbs and secondary limbs (like the nose), while the Dashaa of the planet in the 8th House identical with its inimical House will cause beheading (or afflictions to head), fear from enemies, wanderings in foreign places, troubles of confinement, diseases etc. If the Dashaa of a planet, that is in fall be in operation humiliation from royal sources will follow.
74. The Native will derive (good) effects of a weak planets Dashaa in dreams and thoughts. The effects due to Panch Mahaa Purush Yog will come to pass in the Dashaa of the concerned planets.
75. The planets in Sheershodaya Signs will give their effects in the beginning of the Dashaa; those in Ubhayodaya will give in the middle of the Dashaa effects due to them and those in Prishthodaya Signs as well, as those in fall will reveal their effects in the concluding parts of their Dashaa.
[Kalyana Varmas Saravali, Ch. 42]
2-3. The sub-Lords will ripen the sub-period effects according to their own nature. Should there be more than one planet in the Houses specified above, the strongest of them will rule over the sub period (and not others). The sub periods of Benefics will yield benefic results, while those of Malefics will give inauspicious effects. According to some authorities, planets in Angles will first lord over the sub-periods followed by those in Panaphar (2nd, 5th, 8th and 11th) and Aapoklim (3rd, 6th, 9th and 12th)
4. According to Satyacharya, the sub periods will rule according to the orders of strength in case there is more than one planet in one House.
5. Take the fractions (as mentioned in Shlok 1) and reduce them to equivalent fractions with a common denominator. Add up the aliquot parts of the Dashaa representative of the various numerators leaving out the denominators. The sub periods will be arrived at, when the various aliquots are converted into years within the main Dashaa and divided by a common factor.
6-7. Planets, that are conjunct the major Lord will cause confinement and loss of wealth in their sub periods. If, however, the major Lord is in an Angle, or in a Trine from the Ascendant, there will be great happiness. If a planet conjunct 2, or more planets be in an inimical House, in such sub period, only diseases, evils, quarrels and royal displeasures will come to pass.
8. In the sub period of a planet in the 7th from the Mool Dashaa Lord, death of wife, or the wives becoming a servant of an enemy, or getting attached to another man is denoted.
9-10. Death, destruction of wealth, or imprisonment will result in the sub period of the planet in the 8th from the Mool Dashaa Lord. If 2, or 3, or 4 malefic join in one House other than an Angle, or a Trine, imprisonment, destruction and poverty will be the order of the sub-period.
11. In the sub period of a planet in the 4th from the Mool Dashaa Lord there will be gain through friends, happiness and increased honors.
[Kalyana Varmas Saravali, Ch. 8]
Should even the years be not different, then the one rises after next conjunction will be predominant. Finally, if these risings are similar, then the Dashaa of the one, that has risen first will lead the scheme.
Based on the strength of the above mentioned trinity, the three various stages of life will be effective in order. The strength, or otherwise of these three will decide the effects of the three stages of life.
As regards the Dashaa of a Graha in exaltation, friend's Raashi, or own Raashi, such Ansh, its debilitation, or inimical Raashi, or, when a Graha is eclipsed, it will give mixed effects and prove auspicious in the second half.
Though a Graha may be in evil Raashi, or evil Ansh, or eclipsed by Soorya, he will yield good results, if he has potency to bestow. If he is in enemy's Bhaav, or Ansh, he will under the circumstances, yield kingdom.
The Graha placed in the Horaa, or Navaansh of Soorya will give full effects, while the one in Chandra's Navaansh, or Horaa, it is only in a pipe dream, that the results mature.
The Dasha of a Graha in Lagna, exaltation Bhaav, own Raashi, or own Dreshkaan will be fully beneficial. The effects of such a Graha placed in any Navaansh, as above will only be mixed.
At the commencement of a Dashaa, if the Dashaa lord is in a friendly Bhaav, or exalted, or in an Upachaya Bhaav, in a Kon, or in Yuvatee Bhaav, there will be generally good results.
Only after analysis of the said rules, a wise person should predict good, or bad results.
[Brihat Jataka, Ch. 8]
Stanza 7: If a planet is in a good house and joins debilitated or unfriendly Navaansh, it gives mixed results. The names are fixed for these indicative of their results. I shall give the results of the periods of the Sun, etc, later on.
Stanza 19: Good periods give happiness and bad periods produce misery. Mixed periods give mixed results and the result of the Lagna Dashaa will be similar in nature to its Lord.
Stanza 22: During the time of an auspicious planet, the mind of the person will be good. It enables the man to get wealth and secure happiness. The Dashaa may also be known by the happiness or misery the man is subjected to. The results produced by powerless planets will be enjoyed in dreams and thoughts.
Stanza 23: If one planet represents two contrary results, the effect will be the destruction of those events. but if one is stronger than the other, the stronger prevails. If one planet represents one and another indicates a contrary result, there'll be both the results. Planets give good or bad in their own periods.
Created and Maintained by Sushma Gupta
Created on 05/18/2008 and Updated on 06/08/2012