Astrology | Houses
See also Lagna-Introduction-2 for further information on Lagna
Lagna (Ascendant) and Special Lagna (Part I)
Definition of Astrology
'Graha' means 'influence' or 'force', a 'force' seizing our life. Planets are real bodies in heaven (e.g. Mars or Saturn), Raahu/Ketu do not have a body but are real forces, 'Graha' as well as several 'Upagraha' (for example Gulikaa or Yam Ghantakaa). 'Graha' is a better word than planet because it includes non-bodily forces as well.
This definition of astrology is the working principle of pto-energetics and pto-cbconsulting.
Time Measured in Vedic Astrology
Periods ruled by planets:
Ansh - passed by Lagna in... (average time)
Passing of Lagna/Ascendant is very different in northern and southern hemisphere. Lagna can pass a sign in one or three hours at some locations. The ascension of signs therefore can be quick or slow.
Most Important Special Lagna
Counting from Lagna and Co-Lagna
Interpreting Special Lagna:
(2) You *take a Special Lagna as Lagna and count houses from them* as you do for Lagna, Moon and Sun: 1st from HL, 2nd from HL, 6th from GL, 7th from AL, with the same interpretation rules (as BPHS clearly states) - but you always have to remember that a special Lagna is representing a particular theme and topic.
Conclusion: Special Lagna are important, but making work of astrologers far more difficult. Especially Moon, Sun, Horaa, Ghatee and Arudhaa Lagna are indispensable for daily work.
Malefics posited in a Special Lagna, in Trikon or Kendra from it are negative influences to the themes of the respective Lagna, Benefics Yuti, in Trikon or Kendra are positive influences. General rules are to be applied for evaluation of effects and influences, same as for counting from natal Lagna.
On average, every two hours another sign (Raashi) is rising, therefore on average every two hours we have another ascendant (Lagna). In northern hemisphere some signs are rising very quickly, others are rising very slowly; same in southern hemisphere, so some signs only remain one hour as Lagna, other signs remain two and a half hours as Lagna, due to astronomical reasons. The whole sign, containing this rising point, forms the 1st Bhaav.
Lagna in natal chart contains a summary of all life themes and areas, the basic and core personality, the body (the incarnated body of the eternal Soul!) and the self. Lagna indicates which life conditions an incarnated Soul will meet in this new incarnation, which surroundings with regard to Dharm, Arth, Kaam and Moksh matters.
Important: Although Lagna is of utmost importance, we have to leave a one-sided 'Lagna-fixated' view. This means, only when Lagna Raashi is activated in a Maha-, Antar- or Pratyantar-dashaa it gains more importance regarding Dashaa effects. For example, you may have Raahu in Lagna and Jupiter in 8th from Lagna - then this constellation influences your life during a Raahu MD/Jupiter AD (or Rahu AD/Jupiter PD).
The counting of mutual placements of MD/AD and
AD/PD Dashaa Lords is always of utmost importance.
Note: Transits (Gochar) are mainly counted from Moon's Raashi position in natal chart and not from Lagna.
Lagna is the most important of the four *cardinal points*:
These cardinal points are extensively used in Nir-ayan Chakra chart, using a particular system of house division: Placidus or Topocentric house system. In regions away from the equator, MC and IC often are not the same as the 10th and 4th Bhaav, they can fall in the 11th/9th and 5th/3rd Bhaav.
The exact degree (in Chalit and Nir-ayana chart) and Graha exact or close Yuti with Lagna or a house cusp are decisive for the matters related to this house.
The Raashi containing the Lagna Lord is called Paak Raashi.
Lagna: Tanu Bhaav (Kendra, Dharm)
- Natural Significator: The Sun
[Bhrigu Sutras, Ch. 1]
Finally, some interesting rules:
[Phal Deepikaa, Ch. 15]
14. In the case of various houses, the planets occupy the exact degrees (Bhaav Madhya) signified by any particular house, produce the full effects of that house. The planets situated in Bhaav Sandhi produce no effects. In the case of planets occupying intermediate positions, the effects must be ascertained by a method of three processes.
(1) Horaa Lagna (HL):
[BPHS, Ch. 5, Sl. 4-5]
Horaa Lagna passes 30 degree in 1 hour (= 1 Horaa, 2.5 Ghatee), the whole zodiac in 12 hours. HL passes the zodiac twice during a day. A day comprises of 24 Horaa.
Note: Horaa Lagna is 'not' identical with Lagna in Horaa Varg Chart (D-2 divisional chart). Horaa Varg Chart divides the whole zodiac (and not the day) into 24 parts (Ansh) and a single Raashi into two parts, therefore we have 24 Horaa (and Horaa Lords) in chart.
Use of Horaa Lagna:
For financial and prosperity themes we always have to consider placement of planets from HL as well, taking HL as Lagna and applying same standard interpretation rules as for counting from 'standard' Lagna.
In Dashaa, placement of HL from Dashaa Lords (MD, AD, PD) in Trikon or Kendra or, reversely, Dashaa Lord in Trikon or Kendra from HL is generally auspicious. Effects depend on Yuti and Drishti of Graha and Upagraha with regard to Horaa Lagna, transits and progressions as well.
2nd Bhaav: Dhan Bhaav (Makar, Panaphar, Arth)
- Natural Significator: Jupiter (wealth, eloquence), Mercury (speech, infancy), Moon (face)
[Bhrigu Sutras, Ch. 1]
4th Bhaav: Bandhu Bhaav (Kendra, Moksh)
- Natural Significator: Moon (mind, mentality, mother), Mercury (relatives, friends)
[Bhrigu Sutras, Ch. 1]
(2) Ghatee Lagna (Ghatikaa Lagna, GL)
[BPHS, Ch. 5, Sl. 6-8]
The day can be divided into 60 parts, 'Ghatee', 24 minutes periods. Ghatee are very essential periods in Indian/Vedic astrology as the number '60' (as '108' for Nakshatra Pad, Navaansh) is very important (see eg D-60 sub-chart'Shashtiyaansh' and its importance).
Ghatee Lagna passes 30 degree in 24 minutes (= 1 Ghatee), the whole zodiac in 4 hours 48 minutes. GL passes the zodiac five times during a day. A day comprises of 60 Ghatee (day 30 Ghatee, night 30 Ghatee).
Use of Ghatee Lagna:
As 60 Ghatees form a day (5x12), significations
of 5th Bhaav (passes zodiac five times a day) and of
Dashaansh Varg (Varg power and important activities, Karm) describe the meaning of Ghatee Lagna.
For evaluation of power, authority and social influence of a native we always have to consider placement of planets from GL as well, taking GL as Lagna and applying same standard interpretation rules as for counting from standard' Lagna.
In Dashaa, placement of GL from Dashaa Lords (MD, AD, PD) in Trikon or Kendra or, reversely, Dashaa Lord in Trikon or Kendra from GL is generally auspicious. Effects depend on Yuti and Drishti of Graha and Upagraha with regard to Ghatee Lagna, transits and progressions as well.
5th Bhaav: Putra Bhaav (Trikon, Panaphar, Dharm)
> Natural Significator: Jupiter (creativity, progeny, luck)
[Bhrigu Sutras, Ch. 1]
10th Bhaav: Karm Bhaav (Kendra, Upachaya, Arth)
> Natural Significator: Sun (fame, status, profession), Mercury (business)
[Bhrigu Sutras, Ch. 1]
(3) Bhaav Lagna (BL)
[BPHS, Ch. 5, Sl. 2-3]
Use of Bhaav Lagna:
As Bhaav Lagna is always in or close-by to Lagna (12th or 2nd from it) it could indicate sustaining factors for a native's life, provided by his eternal Soul. It could hint at the Soul's desire for spiritual liberation, too, and therefore possibly indicate events in a native's life leading to Moksh.
I supposed Bhaav Lagna to have a particular link with the significations of Ketu and all his Nakshatras (Ashwinee, Maghaa and Mool).
According to Gauranga Das, Bhaav Lagna 'indicate the personality of the native in the etheric level, showing the constitution of his aura, the dominant colors in it'.
12th Bhaav: Vyaya Bhaav (Dusthaan) (Selection)
- Natural Significator: Ketu (separation, losses), Saturn (losses)
Horaa, Ghatee and Bhaav Lagna are the three special Lagna described in BPHS; all other following special Lagna are developed later.
(4) Vighatee Lagna
Vighatee Lagna passes 30 degrees (one Raashi) in 4 minutes and 48 seconds (!), and the whole zodiac in 4 minutes 48 seconds. One hour comprises of 150 Vighatee, one day of 3600 Vighatee, and 60 Vighatee form 1 Ghatee.
One Vighatee is a subdivision of a Ghatee by 60 and a subdivision of a Horaa by 150 (related to a Naadee). Lagna passes one Shashthiyaansh in 2 minutes, which is equivalent to 5 Vighatee in 2 minutes.
Note: Lagna passes one Dwaadashaansh in 10 minutes, one Drekkana in 40 minutes and five Vighatee - corresponding to one Shashtiyaansh - in two minutes, which is a division of an hour (Horaa) by 60 (5 Vighatee, repeated 12 times).
Use of Vighatee Lagna:
Like Nadiaansh Vighatee Lagna probably indicates very subtle influences of all kinds - arriving as a result of former incarnations of a native. Vighatee Lagna is a 'Moksh Lagna'.
Shashthiyaansh are related to the Bhaav
Kaarak of the 5th and 12th Bhaav, Jupiter, Ketu and Saturn. All indications from 5th
and 12th Bhaav can be derived from Graha's placements in Shashthiyaansh: (5th Bhaav)
self-expression of own personality, true nature, abilities from former incarnations,
success thereof (12th Bhaav) Qualities, abilities, character traits and problems from
Shashthiyaanshas (D-60) are a summary of all abilities and qualities derived from all our past incarnations. It is understandable that these qualities are highly conditioning our personality and our circumstances (which always fit to our personality - circumstances, surroundings and all people related to ourselves are a shadow of ourselves!). Grahas in Shashthiyaansh indicate these conditionings and show us how we are used to planetary energies, our habitudes and all our past experiences with planetary energies - may they be in a good or a bad way (Avasthaa, Yuti with Benefics or Malefics tell the story).
Counting from Vighatee Lagna may furnish additional information about our given conditionings and all Shashtiyaansh themes.
In traditional interpretation, Vighatee Lagna is related to the gender and the complexion of a native.
(5) Praan-pad Lagna
[BPHS, Ch. 3, Sl. 71-74]
Use of Praan-pad Lagna - Praan-pad is a Upagraha described in BPHS, Ch. 3 (calculation) and in Ch. 25, describing its effects shortly. It is in fact an Upagraha, taken as Lagna. As it is based on a division by 15 it is in a way related to Horaa Varga, therefore it is an 'Arth Lagna' (Horaa Varg: division of a sign by 2, leading to 15 degree Ansh). Analyzing the effects described by Paraashar, this view is correct because Praan-pad is well placed in Bhaav of wealth and prosperity (2nd, 4th, 11th, 5th; except 6th Bhaav, which is mainly a Dusthaan). Praan-pad is a beneficial Upagraha like Yama Ghantak and Arth Praradh.
Praan-pad is auspicious in 2nd, 4th, 5th, 9th, 10th and 11th Bhaav; inauspicious in 1st, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 8th and 12th Bhaav.
Praan-pad Lagna obviously indicates happiness one derives from his own material wealth, but to prosperity in general, too. Descriptions in BPHS and Jaimini Sutras show character traits as well, especially with regard to social behavior in own family.
Praan-pad is mainly an 'Upagraha' and not an ascendant therefore counting houses from it is questionable. Planets Yuti or giving Drishti on Praan-pad may influence the wealth, prosperity and the happiness of a native thereof.
Horaa Lagna is related to D-2 and
D-4 Varg themes and 'Praan-pad Lagna' is related to D-16 Varg themes.
D-16, Kaalaansh Varg is related to the following themes: fortunes, prosperity, property, wealth, comforts, luxuries, conveyances, all material pleasures
Counting from Praan-pad Lagna may furnish additional information related to these themes.
Gauranga Dasa cites Jaimini Sutras as follows:
Effects of Non-Luminous Graha
If Praan-pad is in Tanu Bhaav, the native will be weak, sickly, dumb, lunatic, dull witted, defective-limbed, miserable and emaciated.
75. If Praan-pad is in Dhan Bhaav, the native will be endowed with abundant grains, abundant wealth, abundant attendants, abundant children and be fortunate.
76. If Praan-pad is in Sahaj Bhaav, the native will be injurious (or mischievous), proud, hard-hearted, very dirty and be devoid of respect for elders.
77. If Praan-pad is in Bandhu Bhaav, the native will be happy, friendly, attached to females and elders, soft and truthful.
78. If Praan-pad is in Putra Bhaav, the native will be happy, will do good acts, be kind and very affectionate.
79. If Praan-pad is in Ari Bhaav, the native will be subdued by his relatives and enemies, be sharp, will have defective digestive fire, be wicked, sickly, affluent and short-lived.
80. If Praan-pad is in Yuvatee Bhaav, the native will be green-eyed, ever libidinous, fierce in appearance, be not worth respect and be ill-disposed.
81. If Praan-pad is in Randhra Bhaav, the native will be afflicted by diseases, be troubled and will incur misery on account of the king, relatives, servants and sons.
82. If Praan-pad is in Dharm Bhaav, the native will be endowed with sons, be very rich, fortunate, charming, will serve others and be not wicked, but be skilful.
83. If Praan-pad is in Karm Bhaav, the native will be heroic, intelligent, skilful, be an expert in carrying out royal orders and will worship gods.
84. If Praan-pad is in Laabh Bhaav, the native will be famous, virtuous, learned, wealthy, fair-complexioned and attached to mother.
85. If Praan-pad is in Vyaya Bhaav, the native will be mean, wicked, defective-limbed, will hate Brahmins and relatives and suffer from eye diseases, or be one-eyed.
(6) Shree Lagna
Calculation of Shree Lagna - The birth Nakshatra of a native (where Moon is placed in) is divided into 12 parts, then the distance from the beginning of the Nakshatra to the Moon is converted into signs and added to the natal Lagna.
Use of Shree Lagna :
Moon's Nakshatra placement is of utmost importance as lunar mansions are directly related to the Moon. Shree Lagna is some kind of 'mirroring' the distance of the Moon to the Nakshatra beginning to Lagna, point of body and self.
Indications from 4th Bhaav (and 4th Varg):
Most issues from (a) are applicable to the 2nd Bhaav as well: 2nd Bhaav is the 11th from 4th.
Shree Lagna is more a 'Saham' - a sensitive and significant point in zodiac - than an ascendant and in my view it should be treated as a Saham and not as a Lagna - resulting from this counting from Shree Lagna is not advisable.
A planet directly progressing or transiting Shree 'Lagna' (Graha Yuti SL), a Dashaa period activating the Raashi where Shree 'Lagna' is posited in or planets in close or exact Trikon and Kendra to SL may obtain a positive influence on a native's life with regard to all Moon/2nd and 4th Bhaav themes (Taurus and Cancer matters).
In traditional interpretation Shree Lagna (as Horaa Lagna) is used for wealth, money and prosperity matters.
(7) Indu Lagna
Use of Indu Lagna :
Indications from 9th Bhaav/Navaansh Varg: Dharm (life goals, life purpose), fortunes, growth in life, success, potential, hidden forces and strengths (of Graha), unconscious disposition and direction of the mind (with regard to one's own Dharm, potential, which normally is more unconscious than conscious), spirituality and religiosity, philosophy of life.
Like Shree Lagna Indu Lagna is more a 'Saham' - a sensitive and significant point in zodiac - than an ascendant and in my view it should be treated as a Saham and not as a Lagna - resulting from this counting from Indu Lagna is not advisable.
A planet directly progressing or transiting Indu 'Lagna' (Graha Yuti IL), a Dashaa period activating the Raashi where Indu 'Lagna' is posited in or planets in close or exact Trikonas and Kendras to IL may obtain a positive influence on a native's life with regard to all Jupiter/9th Bhaav themes (Sagittarius matters).
In traditional interpretation Indu Lagna (as Hora and Sree Lagna) is used for wealth, money and prosperity matters.
9th Bhaav: Dharm Bhaav (Trikon, Aapoklim, Dharm)
> Natural Significator: Jupiter (Dharm, formation, ethics, fortune), the Sun (father)
[Bhrigu Sutras, Ch. 1]
(8) Nishek Lagna
[BPHS Ch. 4, Sl. 25-30]
Application of Nishek Lagna
4-7. The menstruation so caused makes the female capable of conception. If the Moon is in Upachaya, it makes the menses defunct for conception. However, if the Moon in Upachaya is aspected by Jupiter, or her friends, or especially Venus, the woman affectionately cohabits with the male. If the Moon is aspected by Mars, the female unites with a person other than husband. The Sun, if aspecting the Moon, indicates a king, while Saturn aspecting denotes a servant. Similar inferences should be made, if the Moon is aspected by Malefics only, without aspect of Benefics. If the Moon is aspected by Malefics, like Mars, then the female gives up her home and becomes a prostitute.
8-10. The 7th House from Lagna at the time of copulation indicates the disposition of the couple. If there is a Malefics aspect to the Lagna at the time of copulation, the couple unites angrily and with quarrel. Should it be Benefics aspect, then the sexual enjoyment will be (pleasing), as enumerated by Vaatsyaayan Maharshi. If there be both malefic and benefic aspects on the 7th, the sexual act is mixed in nature. According to ones past deeds, to ripen its fruits the semen enters the womb and conception ensues.
11-12. Occurrence of Pregnancy - If the transit Sun and Venus be in
Upachaya Raashis with strength with reference to the male partners
nativity and occupy even Navaansh, there is scope of pregnancy to be
caused by the particular intercourse. Similar effects follow, if strong
Moon and strong Mars be in Upachaya Raashi in transit with reference to
the females horoscope and be in even Navaansh.
13. Disposition of Fetus - The child in the womb will be according to the mental disposition of the couple and their desires and according to Tridosh (bile, phlegm and wind) prevailing.
14-15. Sex of the Child - Should Lagna, Moon, Jupiter and the Sun be strong and be in male Raashi and male Navaansh, birth of a male child be predicted. If they are in even Raashi and even Ansh, predict female child. If strong Jupiter and Sun be in male Raashi, male child will be born. Female child should be expected, if Venus, Moon and Mars are in even Raashi.
16. Twin Birth - If the Sun and Jupiter be in Gemini, or Sagittarius in aspect to Mercury, birth of two male children be predicted. Two female children will be born, if Venus, Mars and the Moon be in Pisces, or Virgo in aspect (of) Mercury.
17. Male Birth - If Saturn is in odd House other than Lagna, a male child will be born. Such Yog and strengths at the time of Adhana should be properly assessed to predict birth of male, or female child.
18-20. Birth of Hermaphrodite - Birth of a hermaphrodite should be declared, if the Sun and the Moon be in odd Raashi and be in mutual aspect, or, if Mercury and Saturn be in mutual aspect from odd Raashi, or, if Mars aspects the Sun, who is in an even Raashi, or, if the Moon is in Lagna in odd Raashi. These are the views of sages. If Mars aspects Mercury in odd Raashi and simultaneously the Moon in even Raashi, same effect follows. Alternatively if Lagna, Moon and Mercury be in odd Raashi and odd Navaansh and aspected by Venus and Saturn, eunuch birth is indicated.
21-22. One Male Child and One Female Child to be Born - Should Lagna and Moon be in even Raashi and be aspected by a strong planet, then there are twins in the womb (one male child and one female child). Similar results follow, if the Moon and Venus are in even Raashi, or Common Signs and be strong.
23-26. Birth of Triplets - The following Yog prevailing at the time of Adhana lead to births of triplets. Mercury remaining in Gemini Navaansh aspecting a planet, who also falls in Common Navaansh (a), Mercury remaining in Gemini Navaansh aspecting a Sign, which ascends (b), Mercury in Virgo Navaansh aspecting a planet falling in Common Navaansh (c), Mercury in Virgo Navaansh aspecting a Common Sign, which ascends (d), Mercury in Gemini Ansh aspecting a planet in Gemini Ansh, or Sagittarius Ansh (e), Mercury in Gemini Navaansh aspecting the Lagna, which falls in Gemini Navansa, or Sagittarius Navansa (f), Mercury in 7th aspecting a planet in Kanyaa, or Meen Navaansh, or aspecting such Lagna Navaansh (g). Combinations (a) and (b) lead to birth of triplets - one female and two males. Combinations (c) and (d) cause birth of triplets consisting of two females and one male. Combinations at (e) and (f) cause three male children, while the ones at (g) indicate three female children.
27. Mother, Father, etc - If births take place in day-time, Venus indicates mother, while the Sun indicates father. In the case of nights the Moon and Saturn, respectively, play these roles. Similarly the Moon denotes mothers sister and Saturn paternal uncle for day-time births, while Venus and the Sun take over these portfolios, respectively, in the case of night births.
28. Effects of Such Planets - If the planets denoting father and paternal uncle are in odd Bhaav, their well-being is assured. If the planets denoting mother and maternal aunt are in even Bhaav, their well-being is to be predicted.
29-31. Process of Growth of Embryo and Lords Thereof - The embryo in the womb improves, as under. First month coagulated blood, second mass of flesh, third limbs, fourth bones, fifth skin, sixth hair, seventh movement, eighth feeling of hunger and thirst, ninth excitement and tenth ripens, like a fruit and ready for coming out of the womb. These ten months are ruled, respectively, by Venus, Mars, Jupiter, the Sun, the Moon, Saturn, Mercury, Lord of Nishek Lagna, the Moon and the Sun. The dispositions of these Lords indicate good, or bad of the respective processes.
32-33. Miscarriage - Should a planet be affected by celestial portents, or defeat by malefic at the time of intercourse, miscarriage may take place in the month ruled by the planet concerned. The Ascendant ruling at the time of intercourse can also become cause of miscarriage. If Saturn and Mars be in the said Ascendant, or the Moon be in a House of Mars, or Saturn, the results mentioned will come to pass.
34. Comfortable Carrying - Should the Adhana Ascendant be occupied by Moon, or should there be Benefics in the 5th, 9th, 7th, 2nd, 10th, 4th and Malefics relegated to 3rd and 11th aspected by the Sun, the carrying female is safe.
35-41. Adversities to the Pregnant Woman - If at the time of Adhana the Sun and the Moon are hemmed between two Malefics, while the Ascendant has no benefic aspect, the female concerned dies. The same effect prevails, if the said Ascendant and the 7th are occupied by Malefics and be without benefic aspect, or, if the said Ascendant is occupied by Saturn and weak Moon aspected by Mars. Again similar effects shall come to pass, if weak Moon and the Sun are in 12th, Mars in 4th, while Venus is between two Malefics. Both the child in the womb and its mother leave this world, if Malefics occupy the 4th from the said Ascendant, or from the Moon, while Mars is in the 7th, or Lagna. The same result follows, if Mars is in 4th, Sun in 12th and the Moon be decreasing and be with malefic aspect. If the Sun is in Lagna, while the Moon is weak, or, if Mars is in Lagna, while Malefics are in 12th and 2nd without Benefics aspect, death occurs of the mother along with child. The Sun in the 7th at Adhana, while Mars is in Lagna, takes away the child along with its mother through instruments.
42-43. Progress of Pregnancy - Should there be aspects from Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, or the Sun to the Lagna, the process of pregnancy goes on well. The embryo develops according to the state of the Lords of various months (in transit). In the third month the pregnant woman develops tastes to eat various things according to the disposition of the various monthly Lords and Lagna Lord and the Yog caused to them.
44-45. Time of Delivery - If at the time of Nishek (i.e. Adhana) the Sun is in a Movable Sign, delivery takes place in the 10th month, if he is in a Fixed Sign, delivery in 11th month is indicated and in a Dual Sign it is in 12th month. If a Movable Raashi ascends at Adhana, delivery takes place in 10th month, a Fixed 11th and Dual 12th.
46-47. The matter of delivery can be guessed through the Varg of Nishek Lagna - The natal Moon can be in the 10th from Adhana Moon. This view is held by many Aachaarya. According to Baadaraayan the natal Ascendant will be in the 7th from Adhana Lagna and natal Moon will be in the 7th from Adhana Moon. Since there are several views on this, I explain below a view, which is acceptable to all.
48. View Acceptable to all about Natal Moon - Note the Dwadashaansh of the Moon at the time of Adhana. When Moon is so many Signs away from her Adhana position (in a month, when delivery is normally possible), delivery will take place.
49. Should a Navaansh of Saturn rule the Nishek Lagna and Saturn be in the 7th, the delivery takes place after three years. If Cancer be the Navaansh Lagna with the Moon in the 7th (from Raashi Lagna), delivery occurs after twelve years.
50. Fraction of Day, or Night for Delivery - According to Nishek Lagna being a day Sign, or night Sign, delivery will be after so much of fraction of night, or day having passed.
51-52. Thus should be understood the possible time of birth in day, or night and the Lagna at birth. In similar manner the difference between sunrise and birth, i.e. natal Ascendant and (week) day, fortnight, Muhoort month etc. should be guessed. Such details relating to birth should first be ascertained and then predictions should be issued with reference to nativity by astrologers.
53-55. Yog for Eye Defects - If at the time of Adhana (or at birth) the Sun and Moon are in Leo identical with Lagna, the child born will be blind. There should be aspect of Mars and Saturn on Leo. A bubble on the eye should be predicted, if Mars and Mercury aspect the said Sun and Moon in Leo Lagna. I shall further explain Yog affecting the eyes. Should the 12th be occupied by waning Moon, left eye is destroyed and, if by the Sun, it is the right eye. If, however, Benefics aspect (the said 12th and the Sun/Moon), then by (suitable) efforts the eye can be repaired.
56. If Malefics are in Raashi Sandhi and the Moon is in Taurus aspected by Mars, Saturn and the Sun, the native born will be dumb. If, however, there is Benefics aspect, the person speaks later on.
57. If malefic planets are in Raashi Sandhi, while there is no benefic aspect on the Moon, the native born is dull-witted. Should Saturn and Mars be in a Navaansh of Mercury, the birth is with teeth.
58. Should Mercury be in 5th, or 9th from the Ascendant, while all other planets are devoid of strength, the child has 2 faces, 4 hands and 4 legs.
59. If the last portion of Capricorn rises with aspect from Saturn and the Luminaries, the native is short-stature. The same effect prevails, if the Moon is in Cancer identical with Ascendant and aspected by Mars and Saturn.
60. If Pisces rises at birth with aspect from Mars, Saturn and the Moon, the child born is lame. If there is a Benefics aspect to the said combination, then relief can be expected after making efforts.
61. Should Mars be in the Ascendant and fall in the ascendant decanate, or a trinal decanate, receiving the aspect of Malefics, while Benefics are devoid of strength, the child in the womb develops no head, no legs and no hands, respectively.
62. Whatever is stated in this Ch., should be suitably applied to natal Ascendant, if applicable. And the rules stated elsewhere in regard to nativity may be used with reference to Adhana also, if need be.
Thus ends the 8th Chapter entitled Adhana Adhyaaya in Saravali of Kalyana Varma.
See also Lagna-Introduction-2 for further information on Lagna
Created and Maintained by Sushma Gupta
Created on 05/18/2008 and Updated on 03/18/2013