Puraan | 6-Naarad Puraan | 1-Poorv Bhaag
6-Naarad Puraan, 1-Poorv Bhaag, p 501-510
Fourth part of Poorv Bhaag of Naarad Puraan is about contents of each of the 18 Puraan and Vrat and fasts of all the days of the month.
Naarad Jee asked Sanaatan Jee - "Now you please tell me about Puraan, such as how many are they? How many Shlok they contain? What is written in them? etc." Sanaatan Jee said - "I tell you what once Brahmaa Jee told Mareechi Jee. Brahmaa Jee said - "Son, Before there was only one Puraan which contained 1 billion (100 Crore) Shlok. Seeing that one book was not read properly by people, Vishnu takes Avataar as Vyaas in every Chatur-Yug, takes 400,000 Shlok from 1 billion Shlok and distribute them in 18 Puraan. That 1 billion Shlok Puraan is still available in Dev Lok. The 18 Puraan are - Brahm, Padm, Vishnu, Shiv, Bhaagvat, Naarad, Maarkandeya, Agni, Bhavishya, Brahm Vaivart, Ling, Varaah, Skand, Vaaman, Koorm, Matsya, Garud and Brahmaand Puraan.
(1) Brahm Puraan - Vyaas Jee first created Brahm Puraan with 10,000 Shlok. There are many stories in it. Its Poorv Bhaag, describes the creation of Devtaa, Asur, Daksh, Soorya Vansh and Raam Avataar, Chandra Vansh and Krishn Avataar, all Lok, Narak, prayer of Soorya, birth of Paarvatee and her marriage. Its Uttar Bhaag describes Purushottam Kshetra, Krishn's life in detail, Yam Lok and method of doing Shraaddh, Yug, Pralaya. This is in the form of Soot Jee and Shaunak Jee's dialog. Who writes this Puraan and then donates to Braahman with grains, clothes and ornaments, cow etc, he lives in Brahm Lok till the Sun and stars exist. Who reads or listens to its content list, he also gets the fruit of listening or reading it. Who hears or reads the whole Puraan, he attains Brahm Pad. By reading it, one attains whatever he wishes for.
(2) Padm Puraan - As this human being is with five Gyaan Indriyaan, this Puraan consists of five parts (Khand). There are 55,000 Shlok in it. In its Srishti Khand, Maharshi Pulastya has preached Bheeshm about Pushkar Teerth, Brahm Yagya, various types of donations and Vrat, Paarvatee's marriage, Taarakaasur, importance of cow, Kaalkeya, worshipping planets. Its Bhoomi Khand describes about the importance of parents, Vritraasur, Vane, Nahush, Ashok Sundaree, Hund Daitya, dialog of Chyavan and Kunjalaa in the form of Soot Jee and Shaunak Jee dialog. Its Swarg Khand describes the origin of Brahmaand Universe), many Teerth, Saagar Manthan, Vrat, Bheeshm Panchak, Sarvaaparaadh Nivaarak Stotra etc.
Its Paataal Khand describes Raamaashwamedh, Jagannaath Jee, Krishn Avataar, Vaishaakh Snaan (bath), story of Yam and Braahman, Krishn Stotra, Dadheechi, importance of Bhasm (ash), importance of Shiv Jee, Gautam, Shiv Geetaa, Raam Kathaa in Bharadwaaj Aashram in another Kalp etc. Its 5th Khand, Uttar Khand, describes Parvat's story told by Shiv to Paarvatee, Jalandhar, Sagar, Teerth, importance of all 24 Ekaadashee, Vishnu Sahastra Naam, Kaartik Vrat, Maagh Snaan (bath), Nrasinh, story of Dev Sharmaa, importance of Geetaa and Bhaagvat, 108 Raam's names, test of Vishnu by Bhrigu etc. Who donates it along with golden lotus flower to Braahman on Jyeshth Poornimaa, he goes to Vaishnav Dhaam.
(3) Vishnu Puraan - It contains 23,000 Shlok. The six parts of its Poorv Bhaag have been told by Shakti's son Paraashar to Maitreya Jee. Beginning of creation, Saagar Manthan, Daksh Vansh, Dhruv, Prithu, Prachetaa, Priyavrat, Lok, Narak, Soorya's speed, Bharat, dialog of Ribhu and Nidaagh, Manvantar, dialog of king Sagar and Aurv, Soorya Vansh, Chandra Vansh, Krishn's life, Kali Yug, four types of Pralaya. Its Uttar Bhaag gives various types of stories on Dharm, about Punya, Vrat, Dharm Shaastra, Arth Shaastra, Vedaant, Jyotish (astrology), Stotra, Mantra and many other things beneficial to all. Vyaas Jee has told the account of Varaah Kalp. Who donates it along with cow by writing himself or by others to Braahman on Aashaadh Poornimaa, he goes to Vaikunth Dhaam.
(4) Vaayu Puraan - Brahmaa Jee said - "Now I tell you about Vaayu Puraan by hearing which one attains Shiv Dhaam. This Puraan contains 24,000 Shlok and describes Dharm with the reference of Shwet Kalp by Vaayu Dev. It is divided in two parts - Poorv and Uttar. Its Poorv Bhaag describes kings of various Manvantar, story of Gayaasur, importance of Maagh Maas, Daan Dharm, living beings, etc. Its Uttar Bhaag describes Teerth at Narmadaa River, Shiv Sanhitaa in detail. There are 35 sin destroyer Sangam Teerth at Narmadaa River from Omkaareshwar to western shore of the sea. Among them, 11 are on northern banks and 23 on southern banks, and the 35th is the Sangam place where Narmadaa falls in the sea. Along with these Sangam Teerth, there are 400 Teerth on both banks of Narmadaa. Who donates this Puraan along with jaggery and cow by writing himself on Shraavan Poornimaa to Braahman, he lives in Rudra Lok up to a Kalp. Who listens to it regularly eating Havishya food, he himself is Rudra.
(5) Bhaagvat Puraan - This Puraan contains 18,000 Shlok divided among 12 Skandh. It describes Paandav's life after the war, Pareekshit's life - since birth till he leaves his body, Avataar, Vidur and Maitreya Jee, Kapil's Saankhya, story of Satee, Dhruv, Prithu, Praacheenbarhi, Priyavrat, various Lok and their locations, Ajaamil, Vritraasur, Prahlaad, story of Gaj and Graah, Saagar Manthan, king Bali, Matsya Avataar, Soorya and Chandra Vansh, story of Krishn, dialogs between Naarad and Vasudev, Yadu and Dattaatreya, Krishn and Uddhav, end of Yaadav Vansh, description of future kings, branches of Ved, number of Shlok in each Puraan etc. Whoever wishes for Bhakti he should donate this Puraan on a golden throne to Braahman on Bhaadrapad Poornimaa. He should worship Braahman with clothes and ornaments before donating it.
(6) Naarad Puraan - This Puraan contains 25,000 Shlok. It is based on Brihat Kalp story. It describes creation, methods of Moksh, parts of Ved, birth of Shuk Dev Jee, many kinds of Mantra, Kavach, Sahstra Naam, Stotra, contents of each Puraan, Vashishth and Maandhaataa dialog about Ekaadashee Vrat, story of Rukmaangad, origin of Mohinee, Vasu's Shaap to Mohinee, story of Gangaa, Many Teerth - Gayaa, Kaashee Prayaag, Kurukshetra, Badaree, Prabhaas, Pushkar, Narmadaa, Mathuraa etc. Who donates this Puraan along with seven cows to Braahman on Aashwin Poornimaa, he definitely attains Moksh.
(7) Maarkandeya Puraan - This Puraan contains 9,000 Shlok preached to birds. It describes origin of birds, Indra's Shaap to them, Balabhadra's pilgrimage, Story of Draupadee's five sons, Harishchandra, Haihaya, nine types of creation, Story of Durgaa, Vaivaswat Manu's Vansh, Chandra Vansh, Pururavaa, Nahush, Yayaati, Krishn, Avataar, Maarkandeya etc. Who listens to it, he attains the highest Lok; who tells this with explanation, he goes to Shiv Lok; and who donates it after writing it along with golden elephant on Kaartik Poornimaa to Braahman, he attains Brahm Lok.
(8) Agni Puraan - In this Puraan, Agni Dev has described Eeshaan Kalp, it contains 15,000 Shlok. First there are some questions about Puraan, then stories of Avataar are told. After that are creation, Vishnu worship, Mandal, worship of Shaaligraam and Ganesh Jee, Pratishthaa, method of various Deekshaa, Gangaa, Mantra, Yantra, medicines, Manvantar, monthly Vrat, method of Shraadh, Vaar Vrat, Nakshatra Vrat, Vrat and Daan, method of Sandhyaa, Gaayatree, Ling Stotra, dreams, omens, gems, Aayur Ved, Chhand Shaastra, Pralaya, etc. Who donates this Puraan writing it along with sesame seeds, cow and golden lotus flower on Maargsheersh Poornimaa to Braahman, he goes to Swarg Lok."
Created by Sushma Gupta on 3/15/05
Updated on 05/17/13