Messages From Hindu Scriptures
One achieves greatness not because of his position but because of his
qualities. A crow sitting on the top of the palace will not become a Garud,
the holy bird.
Just like a spectacle cannot help a blind, the Shaastra cannot help an
One cannot avoid/evade his fate wherever he runs, the fire caught in
the tip of the tail of a bird will follow the bird wherever it flies.
Only the truth must be spoken and it should be presented in the manner it
is relished. Unrelished truth should not be spoken nor relished untruth.
Fundamental qualities of an individual cannot be changed. Hot water gets
cooled whatever duration it is heated
One should be prepared to meet any difficulties in the life even before
they arise. Digging a well when the house is on fire is not good.
Various names of Lord Shiv and their meanings are explained in the Atharvashiraa Upanishad. It explains the omnipotent omnipresent divinity in the form of Lord Shiv. The vibration in the Universe is said to have the same amplitude and frequency as that of Omkaar, says the Upanishad. Remember, if you want to learn more about the relation between Lord Shiv and Omkaar, read this Upanishad.
If everyone has a destiny then why should we work? We will inevitably reach to that point whether we work or not ? Destiny is the final point where one has to take himself as the will and wish of the nature. If the pathway and final point are wrong, take the guidance of the scholars to correct them. if the route is negative try to make that positive. Even if the bus has a destination board, the driver has to take it to that point.. Like that is our destination is the board, our body is the bus and mind is the driver and wisdom is the road.
We quote many messages from the great scholars, like that while doing the Vaidik rituals, the priests quote the Ved Mantra as prayer. These Mantra are distributed as Sookt in Ved. Wherever the appropriate prayers are to be incorporated, respective Ved Mantra are chanted. This is written in special literature known as Braahman. Braahman contain Ved Mantra and descriptions / practice of Vaidik rituals. There are more than 18 Braahman available now (some are lost forever). These Braahman are distributed in the four + one Ved. They are not easy to understand for common men. Braahman are second level Vaidik literature containing both hymns and prose, meant for performing Vaidik rituals which can be understood only through commentaries or descriptions of scholars.
Life can begin at 60, it is all in your hands!
Many people feel unhappy, health-wise and security-wise, after 60 years of
age owing to the diminishing importance given to them and their opinion. But it
need not be so, if only we understand the basic principles of life and follow
them scrupulously. Here are ten Mantra to age gracefully and make life after
2. Health is wealth: If you really love your kith and kin, taking care of your health should be your priority. Thus, you will not be a burden to them. Go for long and brisk walks daily with friends of your age group or join Yoga classes. Have an annual health check-up and take the prescribed medicines regularly. Oh! Yes, a little bit of moderation in your food intake will work wonders. Listen to your body. U are your own doctor when you reach 60. Do take health insurance cover.
3. Money is important: Money is essential for meeting the basic necessities
of life, keeping good health and earning family respect and security. Do some
prudent financial planning for yourself and your spouse to take care of your
basic needs of today and tomorrow. Remember what you have saved today may not be
enough five years down the road as inflation is galloping faster than your
savings potential. Don' t spend beyond your means even for your children and
never ever part with your hardened savings before your time is up. Yes, we know
that your children are your darlings but when they grow up and get married the
equations change, new priorities will emerge and values imbibed may be forgotten
because of the influence of their spouses or for some other reason. If you have
excess wealth distribute it among your kith and kin or donate for charitable
causes but always ensure adequate monetary security for yourself and your
spouse at all times. You have lived for your kith and kin all through and it is
time you enjoyed a harmonious life with your spouse. If your children are
grateful and they take care of you, you are blessed. But never take it for
5. Time is precious: It is almost like holding a horse's reins. When they are in your hands, you can control them. Imagine that everyday you are born again. Yesterday is a cancelled cheque. Tomorrow is a promissory note. Today is ready cash use it profitably. Live this momentsiz.Down size your desires and urge for new acquisitions. U may not require a new expensive gadget every time u see one, like a new car, LCD TV or a latest lap top after all. Remember that ur children have no value or regard for these soon to be obsolete things you have left behind but only valuable assets in cash and kind are prized by them.
6. Change is the only permanent thing: We should accept change is inevitable and nothing is static or permanent in this world. The only way to make sense out of change is to join the dance and go with the tide. Change has brought about many pleasant and not so pleasant things. Don't crib about generational changes and attitudes and make ur life and others miserable in that process.
7. Enlightened selfishness: All of us are basically selfish. Whatever we do, we expect something in return. We should definitely be grateful to those who stood by us. But our focus should be on the internal satisfaction and happiness we derive by doing good to others, without expecting anything in return.
8. Forget and forgive: Don't be bothered too much about others' mistakes. We are not spiritual enough to show our other cheek when we are slapped in one. But for the sake of our own health and happiness, let us forgive and forget them. Otherwise, we will be only increasing our BP and developing ulcers.
9. Everything has a purpose: Take life as it comes. Accept yourself as you are and also accept others for what they are. Everybody is unique and right in his own way.
10. Overcome the fear of death: We all know that one day we have to leave
this world. Still we are afraid of death. We think that our spouse and children
will be unable to withstand our loss. But the truth is no one is going to die
for you; they may be depressed for some time. Time heals everything and they
will carry on.
Created by Sushma Gupta on 5/9/09
Updated on 06/09/11