Shiv Jee | Shiv Temples
There is a Temple of Shiv, Thirukaazhu Kundaram or commonly known as Pakshee
Teertham in Hindi, in Chennai, Tamilnaadu. It is situated on the way to
Chengelpattu -> Mahaabalipuram at a place of 49 Kms, from Kaacheepuram;
and 16 kms East of Mahaabalipuram. Chennai from here is 70 kms on Chennai-Trichy
roadway of NH 45 via Chengelpattu. As this Temple is situated on Bhedaa Giri
Hill, one has to climb upon some 537 steps to reach the Temple which is 160
meters up. The specialty of this Shiv Temple is that everyday, a pair of eagles,
named Pooshaa and Prithvi, visit this Temple between 11.30 AM to 12.00 PM to
receive offerings. Sometimes only one eagle flies down to the Temple.
Legend Behind the Eagles
Legend says that two sages in disguise of eagles come here after taking
bath at Vaaraanasee they take lunch at Pakshee Teertham and then fly to
Raameshwaram. There exists a holy pond at Pakshee Teertham. Believers say
a conch emerges out of the pond every 12 years.
Eagle Mystery Deepnes
Hindu eagle mystery is deepening with more information coming from different sources.
1. Why do Hindu worship eagle (Suparn = Garud) from Rig Ved Days till today?
2. Why do Hindu build their Yagya Kund (Fire altars) in eagle shape?
3. How is that two eagles come to Tirukazuku Kundaram just to eat rice
pudding everyday for over 1300 year period?
4. Why do Hindu call Emeralds as Garud Ratna (eagle gem), which
Sindbad story writer copied it from the Hindu?
5. Why a Shaivite saint sang 1300 years ago about an eagle bringing flowers
to Shiv every day?
6. Why do Tamil children shout "Drop me a flower please" when they see
Garud (falcon/eagle) in the sky? Why do Hindu recite a Sanskrit hymn when they
7. Why does Vishnu use Garud as his Vaahan (Mount of God)?
8. Why did Raam cremate an eagle Jataayu in Raamaayan? Was it eagle totem people
or real eagle? Why Tamils associate this with Vaitheeshwaran Koil (eagle town)?
9. Why did Eagle people and Snake people (Garud and Naag) fight all over the world?
We have the story here in Puraan, but symbols are in Egypt and Maayaa civilization too?
10. How come eagle brought Som plant for the Yagya (Fire ceremonies of Hindu)?
Created and Maintained by Sushma Gupta
Created on March 15, 2003 and Updated on
May 07, 2013