Information | Tidbits
Who and Who Are Chiranjeevee (Immortal)
Ashwatthaamaa Balirvyaaso Hanumaanashch Vibheeshanah
which means: (1) Ashwatthaamaa, (2) Daitya Raaj Bali (the King who encountered Bhagavan Vaaman), (3) Vyaas Dev, (4) Hanumaan, (5) Vibheeshan, (6) Kripaachaarya and (7) Parashuraam Jee - these 7 people are Chiranjeevee.
There are in fact three more names in this list, that is of Maarkandeya Muni, Takshak Naag and Kaagbhushundi Jee.
1. Ashwatthaamaa - The first name of a Chiranjeevee comes to our mind is of Ashwatthaamaa. He was Dronaachaarya and Kripaachaarya's sister Kripee's son. Vishnu Puraan says that next Ved Vyaas (divider of Ved) will be Ashwatthaamaa.
2. Bali (Daitya King) - He got this Var from Vaaman Bhagavaan when He came to ask him three feet land to retrieve Trilok from him. In Vardaan, Vaaman Bhagavaan said, "You would be Indra in next Manvantar (in 8th Manvantar - the present Manvantar is 7th).
3. Hanumaan - He got this Vardaan from Seetaa Jee when Raam, on the occasion of his coronation, distributing many gifts. Hanumaan asked that "I should live to hear your name as long as people take it on this Earth." Then Seetaa Jee gave him this Var to him that "On all possible places people will establish your idols so that wherever people take the name of Raam you can hear it."
4. Vibheeshan - Raavan's brother Vibheeshan got this Vardaan from Shree Raam when he defected his brother and came in shelter of Raam. Raam put a Tilak on his forehead, declared him the King of Lankaa and gave this Var to him.
5. Kripaachaarya - He is also Chiranjeevee. He did not die in MBH war. Only three people remained alive after the war - Ashwatthaamaa, Kritvarmaa and Kripaachaarya. Ashwatthaamaa was already Chiranjeevee and so was Kripaachaarya.
6. Parashuraam Jee - Son of Maharshi Jamadagni Jee
7. Ved Vyaas Jee - Son of Paraashar and Satyavatee.
5. Kaagbhushundi - The crow who was given Vardaan of keeping the same body throughout, and being Chiranjeevee and telling Raam Kathaa to all kinds of birds by Raam. He himself has said that he had lived for 27 Kalp. He was given the Var (boon) by Ram Himself that "You will never be affected by Kaal (Time)." [Raamaayan, 7/10]
7. Jaambvant - Jaambvant who fought from Raam's side in Raam-Raavan war is also Chiranjeevee. His daughter Jaambvatee was married to Krishn in Dwaapar Yug.
8. Maarkandeya - Although Rishi Maarkandeya was born with the life span of 16 years only, his devotion to Shankar Bhagavaan brought this Vardaan to him.
9. Takshak - Takshak, the son of Kashyap and Vinataa, is also immortal. Its reference is found in Bhaagvat Puraan, when Janamejaya does Sarp Yagya and calls all snakes to be burnt in the Yagya; Takshak gets frightened and coils around one of the legs of Indra's throne. When he comes to know about this he offers Aahuti to bring Takshak along with Indra; and they both start falling down towards the Havan Kund. Then Brahmaa Jee intervenes and stops Janamejaya to stop this Yagya as both were immortal.
10. Indra see Takshak above.
Note: I do not know about Ved Vyaas Jee and Parashuraam Jee as how they became Chiranjeevee, because I am not aware of any reference stories in which they were given the Var of being Chiranjeevee, although when MBH says that they are, they should be. But I know that Kaagbhushundi Jee, Jaambvant and Maarkandeya Muni are Chiranjeevee.
Who Drank Rivers or Oceans
(1) Agastya Muni -
(2) Utathya (Angiraa's son) -
Then Utathya, that foremost of regenerate persons, filled with wrath, commanded Earth, saying, "O Earth, Do show land where there are at present the six hundred thousand lakes." At these words of the Rishi, the Ocean receded from the spot indicated, and land appeared which was exceedingly sterile. Then he addressed to the countries and to the river: -- "Hey Saraswatee River, disappear into the deserts, and let this land, deserted by thee, become impure." After Utathya had made countries dried up, Varun submitted himself to Utathya and brought back his wife Bhadraa to him. The sage was pleased to get back his wife, and released both the world and Varun from their sufferings.
[Utathya's one wife is known as Mamataa whose son is Deerghtamaa who was born blind]
(3) King Jahnu -
(4) Rishi Aurv
Who Are the Divine Naag (Serpents)?
Vaasukim Shesham Padmnaabham cha Kambalam
Shesh, Padmnaabh, Kambal, Shankhpaal, Dhritraashtra, Takshak, Kaaliya
Which Sisters Were Married to Father and Son
Which Sisters Were Married to Father and Son
Created by Sushma Gupta on 5/27/04
Updated on 12/08/12