Bhaagvat Puraan | Skandh-2
|Skandh 1||Skandh 2||Skandh 3||Skandh 4||Skandh 5||Skandh 6|
|Skandh 7||Skandh 8||Skandh 9||Skandh 10||Skandh 11||Skandh 12|
Skandh 2: Page 5 of 5
10-Ten Characteristics of Bhaagvat
Shuk Dev Jee said - "In this Bhaagvat 10 topics have been discussed - Sarg, Visarg, Sthaan, Poshan, Ooti, Manvantar (time period), Eeshaanu Kathaa, Nirodh, Mukti (salvtion), and Aashraya. Among these 10 topics, all other nine topics are explained easily to make Aashraya element clear through Shruti (heard things), or through Taatparya (simile) or from experience.
(1) With the inspiration of Bhagavaan, when sky etc Panch Bhoot, Shabd etc five Tanmaatraa, eleven Indriyaan, Ahankaar and Mahat-Tattwa, are created through the transformation of the three Gun by Kshobh, they are called "Sarg" (the first Creation by Bhagavaan).
(2) Whatever Creation, that Viraat Purush produces with the help of Brahmaa Jee, is called "Visarg" (the Creation by Brahmaa Jee).
(3) Every moment this Creation heads towards destruction. Vishnu Jee keeps it in limits and that proves His greatness, that is called "Sthaan".
(4) When Bhagavaan shows kindness on His devotees, that is called "Poshan".
(5) During which period Lords of Manvantar do Bhakti, Dharm etc, that is called "Manvantar" (it is a fixed time period).
(6) Desires of living beings which bind them with their Karm, are called "Ooti".
(7) Stories of various Avataar are "Eesh Kathaa" (stories of various incarnations of Bhagavaan).
(8) When Bhagavaan sleeps in Yog Nidraa then this Jeev (soul) rests in Him and this is called "Nirodh" (Pralaya or deluge).
(9) Leaving everything to stabilize in Paramaatmaa is called "Mukti" (emancipation or liberation from this world).
(10) Hey Pareekshit, Whatever element creates and destroys this world that is called the "Aashraya"; and Shaastra name it "Paramaatmaa" (Bhagavaan or God). This Jeev is in the human body and the same Jeev is in Soorya also, while this physical body separates the two. Among these three, if even one is not there then the other two cannot exist. Therefore who knows these three things that Paramaatmaa is the "Aashraya" element of everything and His own Aashray is He Himself, not any other one, knows everything.
When that Viraat Purush came out of the Brahmaand egg, He started looking for a place to live. He created water with the desire to live. Because this water was produced by a Purush (male) that is why its one name is "Naar". And within that "Naar", He lived (Ayan) for 1,000 Divine years, that is why He is called "Naaraayan" (Nar + Ayan = water in which Purush lives). Everything, materials, Karm, Kaal, nature and Jeev exist because of that Naaraayan, if He is ignored nothing can exist.
After 1,000 Divine years, He woke up from Yog Nidraa, then He desired to be many. So He divided His seed-semen, which was in Brahmaand form, in three parts - Adhidaiv, Adhyaatm and Adhibhoot. Now listen to how this semen was divided in three parts. When that Purush moved, His movements produced Indriya-power, Man (mind)-power, and body (physical)-power. And these three powers produced their Swaamee Praan. As servants follow their master, in the same way these three powers were active only when this Praan was there. If Praan was not there these three powers were just useless.
When Praan started moving fast, Purush felt the need of food and drink to satisfy His hunger and thirst. Because of this feeling, a mouth appeared in His body. Then a tongue and many Ras (tastes) appeared. When He desired to speak then speaking Indriya tongue, its Devtaa Agni and its action, speaking, appeared. After this He lived again in water for quite a long time. Then His nostrils appeared, then eyes, ears, skin, hands, feet appeared. Vishnu established Himself in His feet. When He had the desire to have children, His genitals appeared. In the same way His other parts also appeared.
This is the huge form (Viraat Roop) of Bhagavaan. This is surrounded by these eight coverings - Prithvi (earth), water, Tej (Agni), Vaayu (air), Aakaash (sky), Ahankaar, Mahat-Tattwa and Prakriti. Beyond this is Bhagavaan's subtle minute form that has no beginning, middle or end and is eternal. Speech and mind cannot reach there.
Since both these forms, the huge one and the minutest one, are created by Bhagavaan's Maayaa only, that is why learned people do not accept both of them. In fact Bhagavaan is inactive. He becomes active only with His own power, and then He can take any form. Whatever forms exist in the Universe they are of His forms only. Whoever living beings (see Jeev) are in the world, all are the results of their good, bad or mixed Karm. When Saattwik Gun is main then one gets Dev Yoni, when Raajasik Gun is main then one gets human being Yoni, and when Taamsik Gun is main then one gets lower Yoni. When Pralaya comes then Bhagavaan assumes Kaal Agni Roop Rudra and absorbs everything. Mahaatmaa describe Bhagavaan like this but who have Brahm Gyaan, they should not concentrate only on these three forms because He is beyond them.
This was the description of Brahmaa's Mahaa Kalp along with Avaantar Kalp. Method of creation is the same in all Kalp. Difference is only this, that in the beginning of the Mahaa Kalp, Mahat-Tattwa appears from Prakriti and in the beginning of a Kalp the Universe stays like that only but only the living and non-living beings are created again and again. The measurement of Kaal (time) and Manvantar etc will be described later. Now you listen to Paadm Kalp description."
Shaunak Jee asked - "You told us that Vidur Jee went for pilgrimage, where did he meet Maitreya Jee and what did Maitreya Jee tell him about Adhyaatm knowledge (Brahm Gyaan)? Why did Vidur Jee leave his relations and why then did he come back to them? Please tell us everything." Soot Jee said - "Pareekshit also asked the same question, so what Shuk Dev Jee said to him, I tell you that, listen to it."
END OF SKANDH 2
Created by Sushma Gupta on 3/9/02
Updated on 06/09/11